An automated testing approach is preferable to a manual one, since it is much more time-efficient and cost-effective. Furthermore, this approach ensures a quick testing process, allowing for a timely detection of poor quality of the data warehouse. We have build an automated testing framework and approach based on the the open source Robot Framework.
- The testing process is notoriously difficult due to the tremendous scale of ingested data. This makes comprehensive manual testing practically impossible, which leads to weakened data integrity and a higher risk of bugs slipping into production;
- Manual testing is error-prone, and a laborious and time-consuming process;
- Teams that rely primarily on manual testing ultimately end up deferring testing until dedicated testing periods, which allows bugs to accumulate;
- Manual testing is not sufficiently repeatable for regression testing;
- Manual tests may not be effective in finding certain classes of defects.